Wednesday 18 February 2009

Rag & Bone, Nicole Miller, Jason Wu and Cushnie et Ochs

I was a little unimpressed with the color palette used here, but there were plenty of redeeming qualities about this show. I really liked that the duo behind Rag & Bone were able to take menswear -- suiting, in particular -- and make it casual.

The prints at Nicole Miller struck me as a less-structured version of what Viktor & Rolf sent down the catwalk last season. Mind you, I don't mean this as an insult -- that's just what I thought of when I first saw it. I love, love, love this print! In fact, I see it as a compliment to V&R's print: where their geometric print was somewhat robotic and linear, this print is swooping and wild; it kind of reminds me of vines (especially on dress #4).

I predict that Michelle Obama will be wearing a lot more Jason Wu. The fourth dress is in a lovely chartreuse color -- same as her inauguration outfit -- and that last dress is a little remiscent of the one she wore that night. Apart from his newfound political ties, Jason Wu delivers a beautiful, ladylike line. I'm not that girly, but I would love to wear these pieces. Wu reminds me a little of Philip Lim (who I also I like), but with a more saturated palette...

What I liked most about this was how the designers wore their own clothing. It's nice to see that the dresses look good on both models and "average" women. I loved the first dress' watercolor-like print, and the cut out lapels on the suit (#5).

No comments:

Post a Comment