Wednesday 29 July 2009

Designer Dangerouse Reconstructing Vintage


There is so much romance hanging on our wall of hope in our Jersey City Atallier. Some of you may ask why I keep showing previews of our spring collection,well I believe you are only as good of a designer as you inspire those around you and checking you out on line. If you want to live in a world of beautiful things that means its not enough to make them and hide them all to yourself,you have to immediately put it out there like "The Secret" so the law of threefold can hit you back 10 times harder.

The past 6 days have been spent all locked up in the studio hand sewing away reconstructing vintage pieces into something new while reinforcing the beauty they've aged with. Jennifer Fein and I challenged ourselves to use what is in house already. Meaning we've found good use to put her ebay addiction to work and all of the scraps of fabrics laying around both of our apartments as musings. and I mustn't forget to mention a kind donation of vintage from my old assistant's Chelsea girl closet as well as a pile of I love these but they don't fit vintage from Jamie Nelson's closet. Here is a sneak peak at our lives behind the seams.

applying a new breast pad to a vintage bustier. The pink raw silk was sparingly laying around,we took the stich patter from a vintage bra I found at a Paris flea market.



I love remade vintage clothing,the unique appeal that comes with them. They are quite precious and expensive. Sometimes when I've seen boutiques attempt this they don't quite give the care that this art entails. Naturally money is involved as well. This is such a timely project like that of a couture house entails. We are not sure if there is a market for our creations but we love them and if no one ever buys one they will exist to simply please us and our friends who love them.

I created this feather trim by cutting a strip of fabric that had some metal like fibers to it. Inserted 3 feathers or so every quarter of an inch onto double stick tape. Then I hand stitched the strand of fabric down and blind stitched it to our garment. This garment is actually a vintage bra from the 20's paired with a slip skirt from the same time however we've made it into a dress.

Romper in the works...The back of all the fabric is lined with nude chiffon for reinforcement. You can't see but there is some fine embroidery up close that I want to preserve.

Jennifer had this black brushed silk slip that was falling apart in so many areas that she gave me full creative liscense to do what ever I wanted. So I am turning it into a romper by cutting a pattern out and merging it with some fine lace trim that I'd been saving for a rainy day.


This is a vintage pink slip meant to be worn on the hips. We added 2 victorian collars one made into an apron and a drawstring to the middle so it can be worn as a unique little top.

Hana Mayeda in tutu extraordinaire!!!

I think that in a time such as now with such a horrible economy it is important to do what you love and enjoy more than ever because no matter your job you are probably financially struggling either way,so struggle for love!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment