Thursday 13 May 2010

Latest Photoshoot: Burlesque - behind the scenes "How To - Hair"








A couple of weeks ago I had a wonderful day shooting with one of my favorite photographers Billie Muller at Burlesque - probably the most incredibly diverse free willed creative place in Dubai.


HOW TO - Hair Up-Do "Burlesque En Vogue"


Whilst the Burlesque En Vogue hair up-do looks difficult, I promise it is not. All you need are 2-3 of synthetic hair padding (I get mine from star stylist Patrick Cameron in the UK - yes, he ships to Dubai), a crimping iron (I use the Babyliss Pro Crimping Iron Tourmaline Pulse) and 30-40 hair pins/kirby grips.

Font size
Start by crimping all hair, making sure you start particularly close to the root of the hair on the outermost layer around the head as this will be the visible outside layer of the hair up-do and therefore it should be perfect.
Because we were shooting 3 different looks that day, I did not want to tease any hair destroying the crimped hair texture until the very last look, therefore I opted to place fillers under the hair to give the up-do the right shape and volume.


For this shoot our lovely photographer Billie Muller had booked the stunning model-twins Anna & Sofia. Having used up all my synthetic hair padding on the first twin, I needed to improvise on the second twin.
So, here you go: the secret of any hair stylist exposed ... if you run out of hair padding take any soft material close to you, secure it to the head, don't say anything and pretend it's normal (or send everyone watching to get coffee while you quickly secure your impromptu padding and cover it with hair before they return). Well ... I found 2 hair buns and some wired hair extension in my kit, which I used as my improvised padding for this look. Honestly, noone knew until I started working on the second look taking the up-do apart and showing everyone the hidden treasures for a laugh.


Then slowly work your way around the head pinning the crimped hair section by section over the hair padding. Make sure you leave the outermost layer of hair until the very end to cover any remaining holes. Secure with lots of hairspray, et voila, finished - easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment