Sunday 18 September 2011

New York Fashion Week: Betsey Johnson, Carolina Herrera, Christian Cota, Charlotte Ronson

Betsey Johnson has never really been my cup of tea, though I did admire her insistence on youthfulness and fun. I mean, really -- can you call a lady who does cartwheels and splits at the end of her shows uptight? I definitely enjoyed this collection. Even though it was a mishmash of styles, I think all of the patterns and silhouettes showed scream "Betsey". Favorites of mine: The studded bustier, the half colored-in florals, the sheer trench, and all the ruffles and lace!

Another designer who's never really been my cup of tea. This time around, however, I was pleasantly surprised. Carolina Herrera plus a shot of graphic direction are a match made in heaven. I particularly liked all the uses for the short stripes shown. Vertical patterns, blocks of sheer/opaque, the belts, as piping... it showed up nearly everywhere, and I thoroughly approve.

Christian Cota is a perennial favorite here at Frock Yeah. I don't really have much to say that I haven't said about Cota before, but again: I love the silhouettes, the color palette, the presentation. The only thing I didn't really like this time around is the shoes.

I should have titled this post "People I Don't Usually Like, and One I'm Obsessed With". Ronson is yet another designer who I never really liked (I only warmed up to her rather recently), but for me, this collection says she's moving in the right direction. Not my favorite from her, but it's all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment